Apr 21, 2009

Movie List

10 MUST WATCH cult movies:

28 days later

What is scary: Waking up and finding yourself in midst of chaos or waking up and finding yourself totally alone? The bloodthirsty disease-infected "zombies" or the "sane" army personnel who are supposed to protect you?
The brilliant shots of deserted London streets, the breathtaking soundtrack, the bit of gore or the edgier, non-crowd pleasing Danny Boyle; everything about this movie is pure classic.


The Descent

I'll just say that this is the best horror movie I have EVER seen. Yes I liked it better and I found it scarier than than Shining and Exorcist and Halloween and Omen and Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho and Rosemary's baby and Blair Witch Project. If the creatures don't kill you, claustrophobia will.



The Blair Witch Project

OK, the handy cam may be the only reason why this has achieved the cult status. But quite frankly, the "true story" feel it gave, the very palpable desperation and fear it contained, the torch on the face, the horrific ending, everything blew me away when I saw it for the first time.



Clerks

Enough of horror movies. For those who can't tolerate a generous helping of foul language, twisted jokes or Kevin Smith( read bordering to toilet) humour even clerks is a horror movie. For others like me , watching these two people talking crap for 1.5 hours at a grocery store is a laugh riot.



Office Space
A movie with the tagline : "Work Sucks" has to be a cult movie, isn't it?
Peter Gibbons:
Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons:
Yeah, I
just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.



Pink Floyd: The Wall

What have we here, laddie? Mysterious scribblings? A secret code? No! Poems, no less! Poems, everybody!





Barton Fink

One of the best Coen Brothers movie. Definitely the weirdest.
It's got everything : Broadway, Hollywood, writers, murderers, mutilated corpses, very fine acting, confusing ending and your own interpretation.
Dark, surreal and exquisite.


Pi

Maths and mystery of the universe.





Dazed and Confused

It was the last day of school in 1976, a time they'd never forget... if only they could remember.

All those who love 70s, raise your hand!



Adaptation

It may sound blasphemous but I liked this better than the legendary "Being John Malkovich".( From the same Spike Jonze-Charlie Kaufman combination).
Even Nicolas Cage couldn't make me like it less.

6 comments:

Shreyan M L said...

now six out of your 10 movies are new to me .. let me know when i can borrow your hard disk .. after kurt vonnegut .. I must say your recommendations are definitely not that bad :)

Manan said...

I'm afraid man now even I don't have most of these movies with me. You have to do your own downloading/renting; but believe me totally worth the time/money.

moa said...

Dnt remember you mentioning some of these movies as recommendations during our conversations... and are these some of the ones i am to download?? :)... you already know my answer to that!!

IPL Anonymous...Kidding :) said...

"There's a divinity that shapes our ends,
Rough-hew them how we will. "
Seems shakespeare knew abt the product lifecycle...

Monotonous posts and a definite deterioration in quality of your blog.

theishu said...

Good picks :)
Though I would vote for 28 weeks later too: something very different from the first instalment and I cant quite explain it

Manan said...

ishu, I have seen 28 weeks later..but nowhere as good as 28 days for me!

Mind-boggling Science Fiction 3

Me to my personal Artificially Intelligent buddy, Rocket:  Rocket, can you do this calculation for me. What's 7 + 4? Rocket: Dude, d...