Sep 30, 2008

A(N) (IN)COMPLETE GUIDE TO SCI-FI LITERATURE


These are the greatest science fiction books ever written. Almost.

( Not in any particular order)

1984 - George Orwell

Grim, Disturbing, Claustrophobic ,one of the best books ever written. THE ONE on totalitarianism future. You don't need to read Fahrenheit 451 after this.

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke

A classic from probably my favorite sci-fi author. Human Race , better take heed.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke

Although the movie has a special place in my heart , book itself was brilliant and well more straightforward than the movie.

Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

Physics, Geometry, Exploration. This one is not for cheap thrills, this one is for the sheer spirit of adventure.

The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

Arguably almost all Kurt Vonnegut books are sci-fi but not for me. You don't want to miss a science fiction masterpiece from an author who is Douglas Adams, Philip Dick, George Orwell, Mark Twain all combined and more. The Absurd. The Purpose of Human Life.

Complete Short Story Collection - Isaac Asimov

You don't need any full length novel to discover the genius of the master. In fact, these are better than anything else.

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov

No, the movie WAS NOT based on the book. Read this and be blown away.

Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov

I'm not AS big a fan as countless others. But this started it all. So, how can you NOT read this?

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein

This was not science ONLY. It was much more. That may be precisely the reason I am not a big fan of some of his other books like the revered Stranger in a Strange Land - which may be the perfect book for those who are not big on hard sci-fi.

Collection of short stories - Philip K. Dick

Philip K. Dick probably had the greatest imagination of all. He will present you the future with such immaculate details that you will wonder if he has traveled back in time. You can't imagine what scope these numerous stories (on which numerous movies have been made) cover. Start with a few.

UBIK - Philip K. Dick

A comedy on reality gone wrong!

Do Paranoids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

The book on which Blade Runner was only loosely based. But the fun is in the details.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Since everybody on the planet seems to have read it, what are you waiting for?

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

This is one of the few contemporary( read post 80s) sci-fi books in the list. Perhaps I haven't read many. But i am not taking anything away from this complex, grand, awesome book. NOT for easy reading.

Ender's Game
- Orson Scott Card

Probably one of the most widely loved books - and I am not talking only about science fiction here. And there's a reason to it. If any science fiction book could provide great entertainment to anyone and everyone,this is it. You may forget it as soon as you have read it, but you'll have one hell of a time while reading it.

Notable Omissions:

Dune - Frank Herbert

I have thought of reading it so many times, but somehow never actually did. I don't think I ever will.

The Time Machine - H.G. Wells

I remember reading it as a kid. I didn't like it then. I don't think I will like it now.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

An acclaimed classic on dystopian future. My problem with this book is that it explains futuristic things like biological engineering which I can hardly relate to. It was an extremely difficult read for me.

Neuromancer - William Gibson

A cult novel. But then cyberpunks and hacking is too real now to be interesting :)

The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick

Probably because I am reading it NOW!!

8 comments:

Jim said...

Amazing choice man!Haven't read some out of those!Will start with Rendezvous with Rama and Sirens of Titan. Glad you included Hyperion in that.Also I wholeheartedly recommend
"A Canticle for Leibowitz".

Manan said...

Thanks Jim! Never heard of that book. Checked out some reviews. Seems damn interesting; I just hope there is not too much of religion in that.

Anonymous said...

I like the cover art :) Not sure what the 5th symbol represents though !

manan said...

That is a wormhole, for traveling through space and time :)

naina said...

hi...

do u hav d soft copy of ny of these ??
is yes, can u plzzz mail it over...

it'l b a gr8 favour

thnks :)

Manan said...

I have soft copies of probably all of them. But to send them I need to know your email address!

naina said...

sure..

its naina2711@gmail.com

to begin with ..
2001: A Space Odyssey /I , Robot /Rendezvous with Rama / Collection of Short Stories /

if u hav any/ all of these ...

or whatever is convinient to u.

thnks a lot !!

Manan said...

sent!

Mind-boggling Science Fiction 3

Me to my personal Artificially Intelligent buddy, Rocket:  Rocket, can you do this calculation for me. What's 7 + 4? Rocket: Dude, d...